Friday, September 09, 2005

Evil and Good

I have been going around all of my life being concerned about good and evil. I have asked over and over, what makes humans do evil things? Why are humans often inhumane to other humans? Why didn’t I turn this concern into some kind of career? I could have been a philosopher/writer, a policeman, a psychologist, or any of a number of things which would have been directly related to the battle between good and evil; yet, I did not. I obviously came with a desire that I was ill-equipped to handle, but that is no excuse. Anyone can become whatever he or she desires to be. It is just a matter of making the decision and working step by step toward it.
I did not name “preacher” in my above list of fighters of evil, but there were times that I thought I wanted to be a preacher; but I could not see a religion that satisfied me. I could have delivered a sermon against evil every Sunday morning, but I was put off by the dogma of the various churches. I still am; I see dogma as evil to be combated. In a different time and place I might have been successful as a preacher, but I was not born into that time and place. Was I put here to speak out against dogmatism?
Here is my sermon for today: Think! Be kind to everyone else so they will be kind to you and yours. Don’t be afraid to learn new things and to unlearn ignorance. Be responsible. And then, think some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home