Friday, August 08, 2008

The Real Garden of Eden

The most important, meaningful, and desired things we humans want are other humans. Alone, we are nothing. How we treat each other is perhaps the most important thing that we ever do, and we should do it right. This is not the subject of this book today; it is the foundation for what I woke up thinking about.

There are two things that all animal life, including humans, need. We need clean water and abundant plant life. Breathing is life, and it is plant life which supplies us with oxygen. These bodies we live in consist of water more than any other material. Plants not only provide us with oxygen and food; they also preserve, clean, and control water. This whole system of plants, air, and water is the very system that makes our lives possible. This is obvious; yet, sometimes it seems that people live as if they don’t know this. We are often our own enemies.

The most meaningful and purposeful things we humans can do on this planet are to take care of each other, animal life, plant life, air, and water. We are part of the Animal Kingdom, but it is the Plant Kingdom that provides for us. We must take care of the Plant Kingdom because it takes care of us. Let us worship the God that invented and gave us the two-kingdom system; and, let us worship the system as well, by properly doing our part in keeping it functioning.

After breakfast I plan to go out and work in the system. I will be carrying several cutting tools. If plants are so important, why am I cutting them? If we destroy plants, we are creating desert. If we let plants grow without tending them, we are creating jungle. If we care for plants in an intelligent way, we create gardens, orchards, and forests that sustain life. In Biblical metaphor, we create the Garden of Eden.

When winter comes and the Garden of Eden goes dormant, we can develop our intelligence and strength so that when spring arrives we will be ready to do our part in the Garden once again. I feel like this would be the ideal way to live the spiritual life.

I have made some simple statements, and now I feel like I should move on to something else. There is a lot more to life than tending the Garden of Eden. Maybe I should move to dancing and singing, or writing prose or poetry, but first I want to create a meal from the stuff of plants and meditate while I eat it. Then in the cool of the morning I will return to the Garden alone and tend to her needs. I will give her a some water, a trim and paint her fence.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home