Monday, June 19, 2006

Avoiding Labels

Since George W. Bush became President I have become something that I don’t want to be. I am too busy criticizing based on liberal principles rather than common sense. I do believe that liberal thinkers are more often critical thinkers than conservatives are, but I think I really should base my thinking on common sense rather than trying to be such and such. I believe that I can say with conviction that Bush is not a critical thinker; but on the other hand, I cannot say that everything that comes out of his mouth is wrong. As a critical thinker, I cannot effectively think critically if I label myself as anything other than a critical thinker. I cannot be liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican, Christian or some other organized religion, and so forth. I am a thinker and not a follower. Is it wrong to say that? I don’t think so. A thinker has to think rather than cling to any doctrine or dogma. There are people who would tell me that I am a bad person when I say I am not a Christian. I could say that I am an all-faiths person, but that really wouldn’t make sense either. I have to avoid being an idealist; but is shouting “I’m a critical thinker” from the roof tops just another form of idealism? I should probably avoid all labels, including that of “critical thinker.” So, then what do I say when someone asks me what I am? I could say that I am a human. Human is an obvious label that cannot be avoided, nor would I want to avoid it. This is not to say that I am a Humanist; that is another matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home